2016-04-05 Version 8.0.1
- The XpressDox interview is no longer “modal” – which means that when an interview is active the user can operate inside Word. New documents can be opened, even the template being run can be opened while the interview is still visible.
Because of this it is now possible to preview the assembled document before the interview is completed. There is a button on the interview toolbar which will be visible. This is only for template authors.
- The XpressDox Explorer has an option to search for templates containing one or more strings. This is only available to template authors, and appears when <Right Click> is pressed on a folder in the Explorer when it is selected to open a template. The option is called “Search for Template with Content”, and presents a user interface to guide in the choices available. Templates found in this way will (optionally) be opened in Word.
- The command «
PaintInsertedText(Yes,Red)» will cause all text which is inserted via fillpoints in the assembled document to be coloured Red. The Command Editor wizard will present a mechanism for choosing the available colours so that you get the name right. Then, in the Common Tools menu in the ribbon, is a button called Find Inserted Text, which will find each piece of inserted text throughout the document.You can also allow the user to choose whether they want this painting or not by something like:«
PaintInsertedText(Yes,Red,PaintInserted = ‘Y’)»
This functionality replaces the original feature set described in point number 13 in the features for version 7.3.0.
- The relative-path resolution for Document and Data Save paths and Helper folders can be set to indicate “relative to the folder being configured” rather than the folder from which the template is being run. This would typically be done at a high level in the folder tree so that it affects all those folders lower down in the tree. The setting for this is in the More Settings tab in the folder configuration form.
- There is a setting in the More Settings tab in the folder configuration form which will enable template versioning. Whenever a template is saved using the XpressDox Explorer, then the earlier version (if there is one) will be copied to a sub-folder called XDTemplateVersions. If there are already versions of that template in the XDTemplateVersions folder then any new versions are numbered 0001, 0002, etc.
RemoveRowIf(<condition>)» and «
RemoveColumnIf(<condition>)» can be placed inside a Word table cell, and the relevant row or column will be removed if the condition is satisfied.
- XpressDox can now record every usage of a template, giving the date and time it was run, along with the user who ran it. This requires a database (probably a formal one like SQL Server or MySQL, not Excel or Access) with a table in it which has the following columns:
- An Id – 36 characters long as XpressDox will set this using a GUID.
- LogEndTimeStamp: a date/time value
- LogStartTimeStamp: ditto
- LogTemplate: the full file path of the template, so should be at least 256 characters long.
- LogUsername: the user name with which the user logged on to Windows.
Then a data source must be defined for this table, typically in the global “Office settings” configuration, or at least at a folder including those folders with templates whose usage needs to be recorded. The data source should have the name XDUsageLog (it is a choice in the drop-down for the data source name in the configuration form). The features “Use for All Templates” and “Allow Insert” must be chosen. XpressDox will choose these automatically when the data source name is XDUsageLog and when you tab out of the Name field in the configuration form.
That is all that is required – after the data source is configured, and probably after reloading Word, XpressDox will proceed to record the template usage.
- The Command Editor will now dock inside the Word document are rather than floating outside Word.
- It is possible to colour the inner text of an Empty Marker. The Command Editor wizard will help. For example, «
SetEmptyMarker([~cyan~**~])» will result in an empty marker showing in the assembled document as [**].
- The «
ShowHidden()» command overrides what the user chooses with the “Show Hidden Fields” on the interview. «
ShowHidden(Name,Address)» will cause the Name and Address fields to be shown on the interview, even if the relevance rules would otherwise cause them to be hidden. «
ShowHidden()» with no parameters has the same effect as the user choosing the “Show Hidden Fields” option on the interview.
- The “CaptureDataElement” part of the Define command now has the default value of “None” enabling setting of the ReadOnly and Required sub-options without forcing the capture of the data element.
- With «
PositionOfRepeater()» it is possible to test the position of the current repeater within interview commands such as OnExitSet, ReadOnly, etc.
- If the first control on a repeater is a ChooseFromList and the interview has some non-empty data (e.g. from the user pressing Use Other Data) and the value of the control for the first repeater item is the default (first value in the list of items to be chosen), then the caption in the treeview was not being constructed properly. This is fixed.
- There was an issue with regional settings and Include/InsertPicture which has been fixed.
- IncludeFileData with the NoRefresh option will not include the file data when Use Other Data is selected in the interview.
- When custom document properties from the “source” template are merged into a “base” template (i.e. the template referred to in a «
BaseTemplate()» command), then if the custom document property appears in both templates, the property in the source template will be copied into the assembled document with “Source” prefixed to the property name.