The XpressDox menu disappears from the Word 2007/2010 ribbon
This has happened to various users when, for example, an XpressDox dialog has been open and the PC has crashed, or when an XpressDox dialog (or error message) is open and the user closes Word using the Task Manager.
Whatever the cause, it sometimes happens that XpressDox disappears from Word.
When this happens, XpressDox can be re-awakened by doing the following:
With Word open, press the File menu (or, for Word 2007, the Office Button – that’s the button on the top left of the Word 2007 screen (it has the Microsoft Office logo in it)).
- Click the Options button (for Word 2007 this is called “Word Options”) – a new interface is presented with a list of options down the left hand side.
- In the list of options, click Add-Ins.
- In the details pane, locate the XpressDox entry in either the Inactive Application Add-ins list, or the Disabled Application Add-ins list.
If it’s in the Inactive list:
- In the Manage box (at the bottom of the form), select COM Add-ins, and then click Go.
- In the COM Add-Ins dialog box, select the check box next to the disabled add-in.
- Click OK.
If it’s in the Disabled list:
- In the Manage box, select Disabled Items, and then click Go.
- Select the add-in and click Enable.
- Click Close.
After this you may have to close and re-open Word in order to see the XpressDox ribbon again.
The XpressDox toolbars appear in Word 2003 but are inactive when clicked
The solution to this is very similar to that described above for Word 2007. The solution for the Word 2007 problem was obtained from the web site How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled. Please see that web site for instructions on how to re-activate XpressDox in Word 2003.
XpressDox is not loaded at all or loads with an exception message
This can sometimes be attributed to corrupted versions of Microsoft assemblies which are needed in order to integrate XpressDox, and other Add-ins, into Word
Prior to version 2.2.10 of XpressDox, the only noticeable symptom is that XpressDox toolbars or ribbon do not appear in Word. After version 2.2.10, the symptom is that XpressDox loads partially, and you see a message beginning “XpressDox startup failed at stage “assigning MSWordApp” with exception: ”
If you do see such a message, please make a screen shot of this error and then paste it into a post in the XpressDox forum. This will help us keep track of this kind of error, and it’s important for us at XpressDox to know about this so that advice on corrective action can be given.
If the error message includes the wording “Configuration failed to initialize …” then XpressDox will have tried to rectify this, and closing and then restarting Word should get rid of the problem. A side-effect of this is that the user experience will be similar to the first few times that Word loaded after XpressDox was first installed.
For other situations (i.e. when the message referred to above did NOT contain the wording “Configuration failed to initialize …”), then what has worked in some situations is the following:
- In the Windows Control Panel, choose “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Select Microsoft Office 2007 (or 2003) Primary Interop Assemblies, and the Remove it.
- Re-install XpressDox. This will result in the Primary Interop Assemblies being re-installed.
Thereafter, if the cause of the original problem was a corrupted version of those Primary Interop Assemblies, then XpressDox should load correctly when Word is re-started.